• Roger Armstrong Outstanding Volunteer Award: Richard Wilson and Kevin Kelly for their support of CHUN operations.
• Neighborhood Character Award: The Park People and Denver Digs Trees for its work to preserve Denver green space and tree canopy.
• Homelessness and Affordable Housing Award: Rev. Diana Flahive of Capitol Hill United Ministries for coordinating programs helping homeless women find safe places to sleep throughout the year.
• Tom Knorr Award for Community Service: Colfax Ave Business Improvement District (Colfax BID) for its work launching the Colfax Works program, which helps the homeless or those emerging from homelessness find employment.
• Safe Neighborhood Award: WalkDenver for its work in advocating for a safer, more walkable Denver.
• Jim Peiker Award for Historic Preservation: GM Development principles Ben Gearhart and Charles Moore for refurbishing the former Denver International Youth Hostel into the Essex Apartments.
On Jan. 10, Capitol Hill United Neighborhoods (CHUN) announced its annual Good Neighbor Awards. The awards recognize individuals, nonprofits and local businesses for outstanding volunteerism, community development, historic preservation and promoting safe neighborhoods, according to a news release.
In previous years, CHUN also had a grant program benefitting neighborhood nonprofits. A number of years ago, CHUN suspended the program because of financial restrictions, the release said. This year, the organization revived the program. Nonprofit winners of the Good Neighbor Awards received a $350 grant. Individuals and for-profit winners of awards selected a nonprofit within CHUN boundaries for the award.
“It’s an opportunity for us to celebrate the previous year’s accomplishments and to bring attention to the great work taking place throughout our community,” said Travis Leiker, president of CHUN, in the release.
CHUN serves 10 Denver neighborhoods. Its boundaries are from Broadway east to Colorado Boulevard and from First Avenue north to 22nd Avenue.
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.